Skip to main content

Full text of "Report of the Board of Regents"

See other formats


Report of the President 


Board of Regents 

or THE 

University of Idaho. 

tut U8«Wi 




Report of the President 

or THE 

Board of Regents 


University of Idaho. 

1 903-1 904. 

University of Idaho, Office of the Board of Eegents, 

Moscow, Idaho, December 31, 1904. 
To His Excellency, the Governor of Idaho : 

Sir — I have the honor to present for your consideration 
the report of the Board of Kegents of the University of 
Idaho for the period beginning January 1, 1903, and end- 
ing December 31, 1904. 

President Board of Regents. 

Board of Regents: 

Charles L» Heitman, President 


Geo. C. Parkinson, Secretary . 


Edward S. Sweet 

James F^ McCarthy 




Mrs. W. H. Ridenbaugh, Vice-President . ♦ Boise 


. Preston 


. Wallace 

Executive Committee: 

Charles L. Heitman 

Mrs. Ridenbaugh 

Geo. C. Parkinson 


W L. Payne 


Report of the Board of Regents 

or THE 

University of Idaho. 


1889. Jan 30 — Governor Edward A. Stevenson approved 

the bill creating the University. 
April 25 — First meeting of the Board of Regents at 

Purchase of 20 acres for campus from 
James Deakin for $4^000. 

1891. July 9 — Contract for the erection of the Adminis- 

tration Building awarded. 
July 11 — Resolution of Regents to comply with the 
provisions of Federal legislation respecting 
Agricultural Colleges and Experiment Sta- 
Oct. 5 — Organization — 

College of Letters. 

College of Agriculture. 

Preparatory School. 

Agricultural Experiment Station. 

1892. Feb. 26 — Resolution to establish sub-stations at 

Nampa, Idaho Falls and Grangeville. 

Aug. 5 — West wing of Administration Building 
practically complete. 

Oct. 12 — Opening day. Courses were mainly prep- 
aratory with two collegiate departments, viz. : 
Civil Engineering and Agriculture (Dec. 


1893. Collegiate Departments for 1893-94. 

Civil Engineering. 

Ancient and Modern Languages. 

Mining and Metallurgy. 
Military Science and Tactics. 

1896. Departments of Mathematics and Horticulture es- 

Pursuant to ruling of Federal authorities 
Agricultural Experiment Sub-stations aban- 

Citizens of Moscow donated a farm of 95 
acres for the Experiment Station. 

1898. March — Sub-department of Rhetoricals estab- 

1899 — Department of Political Science and History es- 

1901. Organization — 

1. College of Letters and Science. 

2. College of Agriculture. 

3. School of Engineering or Applied 

4. Preparatory School. 

5. Agricultural Experiment Station. 


Departiiioiit of D.oiiu^slic Science estab- 

Contract for constrnction of School of 
Science and Kidenbaugh Hall awarded. 

1902 — University sewer system connected with city main 

by 2,800 feet of vitrified sewer pipe. 

Department of Mechanical and Electrical 
Engineering established. 

Office of President of the University and 
Director of the Experiment Station divided 
and a member of the Experiment Station 
Staff elected Director of the Station. 

A member of the College Faculty appoint- 
ed Dean of the Faculty. 

1903. Purchase of 15 acres adjoining the campus from 

Mrs. Julia A. Moore at |100 per acre. 

Purchase of H acres from Persson for |500 
to be used as a site for the Armory and Gym- 
nasium Building. 

1904. Purchase of 24f acres adjoining the campus from 

Mrs. Julia A. Moore at |100 per acre. 

Construction of Armory and Gymnasium. 

Construction of 950 feet of vitrified pipe 
sewer on the campus of the University, con- 
necting the Armory and Gymnasium sewer 
system with the city main. 


State Appropriations. 





$15,000 00 

Vz mill levy— Bldg. Fund. 


% mill levy— Bldg. Fund. 


2,000 00 

% mill levy — Bldg. Fund, including 
year 1895. 


18,246 00 


17,969 14 



20,000 00 

$14,000— Improvement Fund. 


22,000 00 

$50,000— Building Fund. 


50,000 00 

$43,000— Bldg & Improv. Fund. 

Table of Attendance. 

Gradu- Col- Prepar- s^g^.^i rp . , 
ates. lege. atory. ^P^ciai. lotai. 

■•5202-1893 6 127 .. 133 

1893-1894 16 316 .. 332 

1894-1895 28 183 .. 211 

1895-1896 4 42 244 .. 286 

1896-1897 5 65 153 .. 218 

1897-1898 8 87 161 .. 248 

1898-1899 7 79 104 .. 183 

1899-1900 10 106 120 31 257 

1900-1901 33 139 111 79 329 

1902-1903 9 140 139 34 313 

1902-1903 30 146 162 30 338 

1903-1904 14 151 198 40 389 

1904-1905 (estimated) 15 175 165 65 405 

Average age in Preparatory School 17.3 

Average age in College 20 . 4 

Average number in class in Preparatory School 38 

Average number in class in College 18 

Number of classes per week in Preparatory School 87 

Number of lecture and laboratory periods per week in college 336 

The attendance in College is larger but smaller in Pre- 
paratory, owing to the fact that the ninth grade with ap- 
proximately 100 students has been eliminated from the 
Preparatory School. 


The Faculty. 

The Collegiate Faculty consists of all professors, acting 
X)i'ofessors, and associate professors of the coll(^g(^ (h^part- 
nients and the Principal of the Preparatory School. Ueg- 
ular faculty meetings are held on tlie first Friday of each 
month. The standing committees of the faculty are the 
committee on courses, attendance and discipline, student 
organizations and public events, library, museum, prepara- 
tory school and accredited schools. In matters of general 
student interest, for examj)le, athletics, debate, public 
events, the faculty committee co-operates with the corre- 
sponding student committee. 

The Committee on Attendance and Discipline — The 
Committee on Attendance and Discipline collects and tab- 
ulates weekly reports of attendance, and disciplines stu- 
dents on the basis of these reports by reprimands, putting 
on probation and by removal from class. The committee 
has authority to note the general conduct of students and 
in conference with the President to suspend from the Uni- 
versity subject to the ratification of the Faculty. 

The Committee on Secondary Schools — The Committee 
on Secondary Schools determines by personal visitation the 
character of instruction in schools applying for admission 
to the accredited list and makes recommendations to the 
Faculty. The members of the committee annually inspect 
the course of study of each accredited school. 
. The Committee on Courses — The Committee on Courses 
passes on all questions of detail pertaining to admission, 
class standing, election of studies, application for extra 
hours, and changes of courses, and prepares the time ta- 


ble. Students who are delinquent or deficient in their 
studies are notified by the committee within six weeks af- 
ter the beginning of each semester, and students who do 
not obtain at least eight credits in college work in a 
semester are dropped from the roll. 

The Committee on Accredited Schools. 

During the years 1903 and 1904 members of the Com- 
mittee on Accredited Schools visited twenty-six of the 
high schools of the State, and on recommendation of the 
committee the following schools were accredited: 
Boise, Idaho State Acad., Pocatello, 

Bellevue, Idaho Falls, 

Blackfoot, Lewiston, 

Bonner's Ferry, , Mountainhome, 

Caldwell, Nampa, 

Coeur d'Alene, Payette, 

College of Idaho, Caldwell, Pocatello, 
Fielding Academy, Paris, Rathdrum, 
Genesee, Sand Point, 

Glenn's Ferry, Shoshone, 

Grangeville, Wallace, 

Harrison, Wardner, 

Hailey, i Weiser. 

The yisits to the preparatory schools of the State have 
resulted in good in several ways. The University now pos- 
sesses knowledge of the character of the work done in each 
school and can accordingly determine the entrance credits 
to be given to the students. In the last two years quite a 
number of these schools have increased their courses from 
three to four years. It is believed that the visits of the 
inspectors have had not a little to do with this gratifying 


increase of tlie ju'riod of preimnUion for eollcj^ci work and 
for life. Then, too, personal relations have been estab- 
lished between the schools and the University that have 
already resulted in benefit, both to the University and to 
the hi ah schools. 



Your Board has given considerable attention to the mat- 
ter of securing special railroad rates for parties of students 
from Southern and Southeastern Idaho. It was a matter 
of common knowledge that the cost of transportation de- 
terred a large number of students annually from taking a 
college course and operated as a heavy tax on the resources 
of Southern Idaho students. We are therefore glad to re- 
port the concession of special rates to students from South- 
ern and Southeastern Idaho by the Oregon Railroad and 
Navigation Company and the Oregon Short Line which 
has resulted in a considerable increase in the attendance 
from those parts of the State. In view of the results we 
hope that these student rates will be generally adopted by 
the railroads as a permanent policy. 



Value of Property — Grounds. 

^^^^^" Condition. Purchase 

acres. price. 

Orig-inal purchase 20 Campus in g-rass $4,000 

Moore purchase. 15 Unimproved 1,500 

Persson purchase l}i Unimproved 500 

Farm (donated) 95 Good farm land — value 7,125 

Moore purchase 24% Unimproved , 2,476 

Total $15,601 


Administration. , Brick Offices and g-en'l 

college purposes. $200,000 
School of Mines Brick ...Depts. ming-. and 

mec. andelec.eng-. 27,167 

Ridenbaug-h Hall Brick Ladies' dormitory.. 27,167 

Greenhouse Stone and glass. .Ivaby. for station / ^ con 

Horticultural Frame Hort. dept f ^'^^^ 

Annex Frame Arm'ry,cr'mry,etc. 1,500 

Horticultural barn . Frame Barn 270 

Farm house Frame Foreman's dwlng. , 1,200 

Farm barns and piggery . Barns 3,325 

Armory and Gymnasium . . Brick 22,866 

Total $285,995 

Table of Insurance. 

Building-. Amount. Rate. 

Administration Building $ 87,000 00 1 . 80 

Engineering Hall 20,000 00 2.10 

Dormitory 20,000 00 2.60 

Armory and Gymnasium 10,000 00 2.50 

Contents Administration Building 18,500 00 1.80 

Greenhouse 2,000 00 2.80 

Annex -. 2:^00 00 5.50 

Experiment Station Dwelling 600 00 2.00 

Experiment Station Barn 2,000 00 4.50 

Total insurance $162,400 00 

All policies run for three years. 



The Uiiiversily ]>uil(liii<»s arc licntcd by four separate 
lieatiuo- plants^ — that of the Adiniiiisti-atioii Bnihliug, tlie 
Engiueeriiig Building, the Horticultural Building and the 
Armory and Gymnasium. As they differ essentially in 
details each will be described separately. 

The first plant installed was that of the Administration 
Building. This is a low pressure plant heating by direct 
radiation. The plant consists of two 45 H. P. horizontal 
multitubular boilers, installed respectively in 1892 and 
1894, which are still in good condition. The piping system 
is designed on the single pipe or continuous circuit system 
with single riser and single radiator valve for each radi- 
ator. At present, wood is used as a fuel and during the 
years 1903 and 1904 300 cords of wood were consumed. 

The heating plant of the Engineering Building, used 
also for heating Ridenbaugh Hall, is a combined high and 
low pressure heating and power plant, heating by direct 
radiation. The plant consists of two 45 H. P. horizontal 
multitubular boilers, both installed in 1902 at the time 
of the construction of the Engineering Building. On ac- 
count of the plant being used both for power purposes 
and for heating Ridenbaugh Hall steam is generated at 
liigli pressure and is reduced by pressure regulators before 
passing into the heating mains. The steam for the heating 
of the Engineering Building is reduced at a point near the 
boilers and is distributed at low pressure, 10 pounds or 
less, depending upon weather conditions. The steam for 
the low pressure heating system in Ridenbaugh Hall is 
transmitted at boiler pressure by means of a 2-inch high 
pressure main, 245 feet in length, to a pressure regulator 


placed just within tlie walls of the building. From here 
it is distributed at low pressure to the radiators. The low 
pressure piping system of the Engineering Building and 
Eidenbaugh Hall are designed on the single pipe or con- 
tinuous circuit system with single riser and single radia- 
tor valve for each radiator. 

The boiler plant of the Engineering Building is also used 
to operate the 60 H. P. engine installed in that building 
and provision has been made for the utilization of the ex- 
haust steam from this engine for heating purposes. This 
has been arranged by a connection between the exhaust 
pipe of the engine and the low pressure mains of the En- 
gineering Building and the placing of a back pressure 
valve in the main exhaust pipe leading to the roof. When 
the engine is running sufficient steam is usually supplied 
for the heating of the building, without drawing steam di- 
rectly from the boilers. 

The Horticultural Building is heated by hot water, us- 
ing a ^'Tropic" hot w^ater heater. Coal is used as a fuel 
for this and the Engineering Building, and during the 
years 1902-1904 500 tons of Roslyn coal were consumed. 

The Armory and Gymnasium is to be heated by hot wa- 
ter, a first-class plant being in process of installation. 

Following is the general data of the heating plants : 

Administration Building, total cubic feet heated 575,280 

Engineering Building, total cubic feet heated 216,000 

Rldenbaugh Hall, total cubic feet heated 114,115 

Horticultural Building, total cubic feet heated 9,820 

Greenhouse, total cubic feet heated 7,200 


Administraiion Building, average distance heat carried 130 

Administration Building, maximum distance heat carried 275 

Engineering Building, average distance heat carri,ed 86 

Engineering Building, maximum distance heat carried 172 

Ridenbaugh Hall, average distance heat carried 128 

Rldenbaugh Hall, maximum distance heat carried 259 


Above distances given for Ividcnbaiigii Hall are foi* low 
pressure piping. Length of bigh ])ressure main from 
boiler to reducing regulator at lUdenbaugb Hall, 245 fccX. 


All buildings on the campus are lighted by electricity, 
using 110 volt lamps, supplied with power at present from 
the mains of the Moscow Electric Light and Power Plant. 
Altogether 450 lamps are used, distributed as follows : 

Administration Building 223 

Engineering- Building 60 

Ridenbaugh Hall 150 

Horticultural Building 5 

Annex 10 

Barn 2 

These buildings are also connected with the University 
power plant which has on several different occasions sup- 
plied light during temporary defects of the city supply. 
Up to the present time it has not been found advisable to 
depend entirely on our own power for lighting. 

Until October, 1903, the University paid 20 cents per 
watt-hour for light. Since that time, however, the follow- 
ing sliding scale of rates has been secured: 

14 cents per 1,000 watt-hours for the first 500,000 watt-hours. 
12 cents per 1,000 watt-hours for the next 200,000 watt-hours. 
10 cents, per 1,000 watt-hours for all over 700,000 watt-hours. 

The new Armory and Gymnasium, when complete, will 
contain approximately 140 lamps, which will considerably 

increase the present heavy expense connected with the Uni- 
versity lighting system. 


Since our last report the only new feature in connection 
with our sewerage system is the Gymnasium sewer. The 
site of the new Gymnasium is below the city sewer system 


at its nearest point, hence to make the connection it was 

necessary to run 950 feet to the manhole on University 

avenue, west of Elm street. The sewer was expensive on 

account of the depth necessary in cutting through the 

high ground on the north line of tlxe campus, where for 

nearh^ 200 feet this depth exceeded 15 feet. The line was 

well constructed of six and eigh-inch pipe, with lamp holes, 

man holes and flush tank, at the contract price of |918.90, 
by Naylor & Norlin of Lewiston. 

Pursuant to the recommendation of the Board of Re- 
gents the Legislature in 1903 granted an appropriation of 
|25,000 for the construction of a new Armory and Gym- 
nasium on the campus of the University. As soon as the 
grant was made steps were immediately taken to secure 
plans and the Board of Regents offered a cash prize for 
the most appropriate plans presented. The plans were 
examined at their annual meeting in June, but as none 
were found to meet the requirements, the offer was with- 
drawn. Negotiations were continued for some time and in 
July Mr. J. E. Tourtellotte of Boise succeeded in present- 
ing i3lans which were satisfactory to the Board. Specifi- 
cations in accordance with his plans were at once prepared 
and subsequently advertisements were placed in represen- 
tative newspapers of the State and in the Spokesman Re- 
view of Spokane. In response to these advertisements the 
following bids were submitted and opened at a meeting of 
the Board held at Moscow in May, 1904„ 

UNlVintSlTY OF IDAHO. 1 "^ 

Bids for Annorij and (Ijjniuasium. 

Collins & Walker. Levviston $28.896 00 

J. J. Anthony, Moscow 28,000 00 

Michel & Webber, Boise 25,800 OG 

Ledoux & Son, Lewiston 25,333 00 

Lauder, Zeigler & Giese, Moscow 24,745 00 

Williams & Griffin, Nampa 22,641 00 

The bid of Messrs. William & Griffin being the loAvest, 
a contract was made with them at the price of |22,866, 
the additional |225 being added to cover alterations pro- 
posed by the architect. The contractors were obliged to 
give bonds of $8,000.00 as required by law, the Title Guar- 
anty and Trust Company of Scranton, Pa., being surety. 
Although the building is not yet completed, yet work on 
it has progressed to an extent sufficient to warrant a short 
description of its main features. 

The new building is situated on the west side overlook- 
ing the University campus at a distance of about seventy 
yards from the Main Building. It is a commodious, rect- 
angular structure of red brick with a ground plan of 129x 
64 feet. The foundation is of granite rubble, the under- 
pining and basement story of basalt, with Avindow and 
door trimmings, base and sill courses of gray Tenio stone. 
The total height from the grade to the top of the cupola 
is 60 feet. 

In the basement are two large rooms to be used for the 
storage of arms and ordnance, for the careful preservation 
of which a heavy bond has always been required by the 
War Department. There is also an abundance of hot and 
cold shower baths, and locker rooms for ladies and gentle- 
men all thoroughly equipped in a modern way with steam 
heat and electric lights. 

On either side of the entrace to the ground floor are am 


j)le quarters for the Military Instructor and his staff and 
the instructor in Pliysical Culture. Further in are the 
Spectators' Hall and the Gymnasium proper. The gym- 
nasium has a floor space of 109x58 feet of good and elastic 
construction, suitable for the evolutions of a company of 
infantry and in which a battalion of four companies can 
be formed in military order. Suitable equipment of ap- 
paratus for physical culture and indoor athletics will be 
supplied as soon as a fund is provided for that purpose. 
The main hall and its adjoining rooms will be a fitting 
place for University receptions and other social events 
which are an important part of college life and training. 

The upper i3art of the building is a continuation of the 
Gjannasium, a 6-foot running track and gallery, and a 
large reception room suitable for a Convocation Hall or 
additional class room. 

The building is of the conventional style of architecture 
and will be an ornament to the campus in which the Uni- 
versity may well take pride. 

Abstract of Armory and Gymnasium warrants to date: 



501. The Spokesman Review $ 45*60 

502. The Lewiston Tribune 2100 

503. The Capital News 15 00 

504. The Statesman Printing Co ' 15 00 

505. The Moscow Mirror 10 00 

506. The North Idaho Star 6 70 

507. J. E. Tourtellotte & Co 571 65 

508. Williams & Griffin 1,307 00 

509. Williams & Griffin , 1,331 00 

510. J. B. Tourtellotte & Co 62 07 

511. Williams & Griffin IJZZQ 00 

512. Williams & Griffin 1 993 00 

513. J. E. Tourtellotte & Co 54 80 

514. Williams & Griffin 1,045 00 

515. J. E. Tourtellotte & Co '. 24 69 

516. The Spokesman Review 3 20 

517. The Teller Publishing Co 1 80 

518. The Lewiston Tribune 3 60 

519. Williams & Griffin 1,852 00 

520. J. B. Tourtellotte & Co 43 58 

521. Holley, Mason, Marks & Co 9 14 

522. Freight and Express 4 55 

523. Williams & Griffin 2,697 00 

524. J. E. Tourtellotte & Co 63 45 

525. Williams & Griffin 2,695 00 

526. J. E. Tourtellotte & Co 63 41 

527. Naylor & Norlin , 600 00 

528. Naylor & Norlin 318 90 

529. Williams & Griffin 798 00 

530. J. E. Tourtellotte & Co 18 79 

531. Sundry Labor 17 30 

532. Williams & Griffin 1,134 00 

533. J. B. Tourtellotte & Co 26 68 

The following annual reports are required by Federal 
and State statutes: 

Name. By. To. Nature. 

Morrill Treasurer. . Sec. of Agr. and Sec. of Int.. Financial 

Hatch Treasurer.. Same Financial 

University President. . Same General 

Experiment Station. .Director.. . .Governor of Idaho General 

Annual Report President . . Same General 

The Morrill report requires itemized statements for the 
following schedules : Agriculture, Mechanic Arts, Englisli 
Language, Mathematical Science, Natural or Physical 
Science, Economic Science. 


The Hatch report is itemized under the following heads : 
Salaries, Labor, Publications, Postage and Stationary, 
Freight and Express, Heat, Light and Water, Chemical 
Supplies, Seeds, Plants and Sundry Supplies, Fertilizers, 
Feeding Stuffs, Library, Tools, Implements and Ma- 
chinery, Furniture and Fixtures, Scientific Apparatus, 
Live Stock, Traveling Expenses, Contingent Expenses, 
Building and Repairs. 

The following exhibit of receipts and disbursements rep- 
resents the division of the University's funds : ( 1 ) The U. 
S. Government Morrill Fund; (2) The U. S. Government 
Hatch Fund; (3) The State Maintenance Fund; (4) The 
Local Station Fund; (5) The Armory and Gymnasium 
Fund; (6) The University Improvement Fund. The two 
Federal Funds are herewith reported as closed up at the 
end of the fiscal year, June 30, 1904. The State Mainte- 
nance and Local Station Funds are reported as closed to 



July 1, 1903-/^^^6 30, 1904. 


To Morrill installment for 1903-1904 Ji $25,000 00 

Total available for year $25,000 00 

( As per Abstract, Government Report. ) 

By Agriculture $ 499 90 

By Mechanical Arts 4,937 50 

By English Language 5,008 50 

By Mathematical Science 3,576 40 

By Natural or Phj ^sical Science 5,925 00 

By Economic Science 4,752 70 

Total expended during year $24,700 00 

Balance unexpended 300 00 

$25,000 00 



July 1, 1903-.////IC 30, 1904. 


To Hatch Installment for 1903-1904 $15,000.00 

(As Per Abstract, Government Report.) 

By salaries $ 8,284 80 

By labor 2,462 06 

By publications 536 45 

By postage and stationery 150 09 

By freight and express 216 .74 

By heat, light, water and power 

By chemical supplies 238 54 

By seeds, plants and sundry supplies 264 08 

By fertilizers 

By feeding stuffs ^09 60 

By library 108 67 

By tools, implements and machinery 317 17 

By furniture and fixtures 56 55 

By scientific apparatus , 445 38 

By live stock 42 85 

By traveling expenses 554 65 

By contingent expenses 83 15 

By buildings and repairs - 429 22 


Total expended during year $15,000 00 


January 1, 19QS-December 31^ 1904. 


To Biennial Appropriation, 1903 ..'....>... .$42,000 00 

To Farm Improvement Fund 5,000 00 

To Farm Institute Fund i 2,000 00 

To Regents' Traveling- Expenses Fund 1,000 00 

To Interest on School Bonds >. . 550 00 

To Departmental and Miscellaneous Receipts 237 69 

Total maintenance . $50,787 69 


By overdraft January 1, 1903 ..$1,299 08 

By salaries .....21,767 98 

By printing, catalogues reports and office supplies'.. 1,903 01 

By fuel, light and water ...;.. . ,. ... .... 7:,150 84 

By traveling expenses, inspectors, etc. 1,894 00 

By regents' traveling expenses 1,214 20 

By insurance ^,514 50 

By building, supplies and furniture , 1,728 76 

By farm improvements, stock, fences, etc 3,393 87 

By farm institutes 1,003 02 

By miscellaneous labor and janitor supplied 1,112 06 

By horticultural supplies, grounds and buildings 2,651 07 

By scientific and laboratory equipment ' 2,77127 

By library, military and musical supplies 1,778 93 

By freight, express, postage and telephone 1,221 48 

By litigation and miscellaneous fees 816 55 

Estimated bills, December, including salaries 1,250 00 

Estimated deficit, December 31st, 1904 5,182^3 

$55,970 62 $55,370 62 


January 1, l\)m-Dcccnihcr 31, 1904. 


To sta tion receipts $2,029 84 


By overdraft Jan. 1, 1903 71 42 

By local station improvements 1,643 05 

By balance on hand, December 31, 19 315 37 

$2,029 84 

The Local Station Fund is cleriyed from the sale of stock 
and produce from the farm and greenhouse and is used for 
improvements in the station. 

January 1, IdO^-Novemher 30, 1904. 


To Appropriation for University Improvement. ... .$18,000.00 


By engineering- supplies, electrical, mechanical and mining $ 5,518 96 

By water system, well casing, pumping plant 1,601 50 

By domestic science equipment 1,017 06 

By traveling expenses and litigation 837 60 

By purchase of land 750 30 

By f urniturle, dormitory and mining department 323 40 

By sundry repairs to equipment 24161 

By freight and express ., 85 80 

Balance on hand 7,623 97 

$18,000 00 



Since the last report there has been improvement in the 
condition of the library. The space has been doubled. 
The old room is devoted to books and their nsers, while 
the additional room adjacent has been made the reading 
room for college students. New periodical racks keep the 
periodicals in order and in good condition. Of the sum 
given by the State $1200 has been spent during the bien- 
nium now closing. It was distributed as follows: 

Reference books , $350 

Binamg 235 

Periodicals of general list 140 

Departmental books 475 

While this increase on what has gone before is encour- 
aging the Library needs much larger funds. 

The Library is the touchstone by which to try the Uni- 
versity life. All departments are closely related to it, 
but to some it is essential. The departments of History, 
Economics, English, and Pedagogy, not to mention others, 
departments which in large measure set the standard of 
civic duty among the students, or stand in closest rela- 
tionship to the schools of the State, departments whose 
vigorous life are essential to the growth of a well rounded 
University, amount to little unless they use as a labora- 
tory a rapidly growing library receiving the necessary in- 
formation which appears in a steady stream of new ma- 
terial in their respective fields. 

Moreover it should be possible at the State University 
to find the fundamental books in every line of work. A 
worker anywhere in the State coming here should be able 
to find the printed record of what has been done in the 
field of his interest. Keal as is this need on the part of 


itlie (mtsi(l(^ sliidcni. oi' iiivcsligjiior it is iinicli uioni ini- 
poi'taut in tlio TJniversity itsolf. Toaclunj]^ is hut a part 
<of the duty of tlie IJiiivei'sity professor, llis work must 
include research and tlie highest type of teaching can 
"be done only by men carrying on research investigations 
:along with their teaching. But for this a scholar's 
library is an absolnte essential. This institution is to 
rgrow to the proportions of a true University ajad for this 
the next step is to develop the library. 

A comparison with the expenditures of neighboring 
'State Universities for the biennium_ 1902-04 will 
strengthen these statements. California spent |55,773 for 
ibooks alone of which |24,600 came from gifts of citizens, 
Tlii^ contains a suggestion to the liberal minded of Idaho. 
IFew farms of public beneyolence will produce better re- 
'sults than gifts to the Library of the State University, 
^^ebraska University spent for books alone |1.9,222 and in 
addition |8,825 for administration of the Library. Wash- 
ington State University spent for books during the same 
period 19,500^ and the State Agricultural College spent 
.$1,750 for the same purpose. 

In the light of our needs and the examples of other 
estates an appropriation of f5,000 for the coming biennium 
is asked for with the conviction that no state money will 
"be better spent. 


Probably no State in the Union is more faTored with 
mineral wealtli ttian Idaho. Tbe gold recovered from 
placers of the State is conservatively estimated at |250,- 
€00,000 in valne, and the placers are still producing gold. 


It is a comparatively short time since miners in this State 
began to turn their attention to '^quartz mining/' or ore 
in place; yet a single district, the CoeuT d^'Alene districtj, 
has produced over flOO,000,000 worth of metals. This; 
district is at present producing about half of the lead 
being produced in the United States. It is difficult to> 
determine the value of these mines; the improvements 
alone are valued for taxation at P,222^886.80. The 
amount of taxes paid in 1903 by the mines in this district 
Avas 199,853.43. These mines employ 1800 men to whom 
they pay in wages f 2,268,000 per year. Gold, platinum^ 
silver, lead, copper, zinc, nickle, cobalt, iron, mica, mona- 
zite, molybdenite, scheelite, coal,, lime, clay^ infusorial 
earth, marble, onyx, rubies, opals, diamonds, petroleum., 
and a large variety of building stones have already been 
discovered. For the economic development of these vast 
mineral resources, it is necessary to use all the knowledge 
that science and art have made available. It is of the 
greatest importance to the State to provide instruction, 
facilities, and apparatus to train young men to develop 
this natural wealth of the State. It is needless to say 
that the mining industry surpasses all other industries in 
the State. The dev^elopment of these mineral resources 
will bring transjwrtation facilities, attract immigration,, 
and make a market for the products of all other industries. 
Some years ago only mines having high grade ore could 
be worked at a profit, but such an improvement has been 
made in mining machinery and in the processes of ex- 
tracting the metals that mines having low grade ore are 
now worked at a profit. To train men in the use of this 
improved machinery, and to educate and train them in 


^Im new and j in proved procpsscs of (»xtr;urtiiig tlui iiK'tals 
Xi'oiii the or(^, it is necessarj io have additional instructors, 
:and to have a metal lurj>ical laboratory equipped with ina- 
<chin-ery to treat ore by these processes. An appropriation 
of 135,000 for a mefcallurgical laboratory would enable us 
io make a good beginning in this direction. 

Many mines having Ioav grade ore now lie idle or are 
;al)andoned because the ore can not be mined and milled at 
;a profit. If the ore could be mined and milled for 50 cents 
'or fl.OO lesSj or if a higiier percentage of extraction conld 
be secured, many such mines could be worked at a profit. 
Men who can do this are in demand. Last year a mining 
iengineer, working a Montana property, succeeded in min- 
ing and milling the ore at 40 cents per ton. He was im- 
mediately offered a position in South Africa at a salary of 
frL5,000 per year. 

With few exceptions the large dividend paying mines of 
the world are mines having low grade ore. The largest 
:gold prodncing mine in the world, the Homestead mine 
*of Sonth Dakota, paid $12,422,350 in dividends from an 
'Ore tliat has an average value of f 3.50 per ton. The Ana- 
conda Copper Company at Bntte has paid |23,250,000 in 
profits made out of mining, smelting, and refining an ore 
that €arries a value of |2.00 per ton. The Alaska-Tread- 
i\^ell gold mine, w^hich made a net profit last year of |1.0i 
per ton, has paid f5,350,000 in dividends. 

The department of mining and metallnrgy was created 
hy resolution of the Board of Kegents during the year 
1893-4. At the end of the school year of 1896 and 1897 the 
department had only two or three students. Since Sep- 
tember, 1897, the growth and progress of the department 


has been remarkable. The n amber of students that ma- 
triculated each year in the mining department for the four- 
years' course is as follows i 

1898-99 (numbier in Spani-Amer.. war),^.,...,., ............... ... lOi 

1900-01 .- „ 24 

X902-03 . ... .... ..... ....... -. 32; 

1903-04 ....... 3S 

.1904-05: (Mov. 9tFf) , ..35* 

There will be about 4D registered before tbe ® of the year; 

This article is intended to shcn\r: 

1. That mining is a very profitable industry. 

2. That in Idaho is large mineral wealth which can be 
made a powerful factor in the material development of the 

3. That instructors, facilities and machinery are nec^ 
essary to educate and train men to develop this' natural 

4. That the mining industry, on account of its import- 
ance smd the taxes it pays" is entitled to this^ as^isi:anee. 

5. That the department of mining and metallurgy has; 
a large enrollment of students^ who desire to fit themselves; 
for this" w^ork, 

6^. That the department of mining and metallurgy has'; 
done remarkably well while working under disadvantages^ 
which is proved by the capability and efficiency of the 
graduates of this department. That this is a guaranty that 
still better results may be expected, if the necessary equip- 
ment and assistance are procured. 


A majority of the States of the Union have buildings 
which are used exclusively for Agricultural College and 


Expi'i'lniciit Siatiou \voi*k. A few havo bnil(lin<;.s set apart 
:for statiou work alone; but in most easels tlie laboratories 
Tiised for station work and class roonivs used for agTiculture 
are located in ±lie same -building, and it is believed that 
the two lines of ^\T)rk can be best served in this institution 
hj a similar arrangement. 

Other States are expending for sncli a building sums 
-varying from fifteen thousand to two hundred and fifty 
ithousand dollars. New York has just passed a bill giving 
Cornell Univiersity tbe latter sum for lier agricultural 
building. Oregon has expended sixty thousand dollars in 
the erection and equipment of an agricultural building, 
'The State of Washington has put eighty thousand into a 
.similar bnilding which would correspond to the building 
w^e are contemplating. 

The building shonld provide for worJk in the following 
departments : 

1. Animal Husbandry — 

a. Eoom for stock judging, 

~b.. Lecture room, 

€. Office or study, 

d. Rooms for creamery plant, 

2. Agronomy — 

a. Soil laboratory. 

b. Plant laboratory. 

c. Office or study, ' 

3. Horticulture — 

a. Lecture room, 

b. Green house. 
^ c. Laboratory, 

d. Work room, 

e. Office or study. 


4. Plant Pathology and Bacteriology — 

a. Two laboratories. 

b. Office or study. 

5. Entomology and Zoology — 

a. Laboratory. 

b. Office or study. 

6. Chemistry. 

a. Laboratory for station. 

b. Laboratory for food work, 

c. Office or study. 

7. General Uses^ — ' 

a. Eoom for Museum. 

b. Director's office. ; 

c. Station Library. 

d. Photography room. 

e. Store room. 

f. Heating plant. 

These are the principal needs which a building should 
supply. There are many minor details which will need to 
be provided for, such as closets, cloak rooms, etc. 

A building to meet our present needs in those lines of 
work and such others as we should provide for in the near 
future will cost not less than fifty thousand dollars, and 
this is a small sum with which to provide for the great ag- 
ricultural development of the State. The building should 
be two stories high, and basement full sized and finished. 
Of the sum mentioned above not less than |5,000 should 
1 (' reserved for furnishings and equipment. 



Tlio Lej>islatiire of 1903 made a special appropriad'on of 
;$2,000 toward i)aying the exxxmsen of those wlio were eu- 
deavorin<»' to stiiiiuhite scientific interest in all the different 
branches of a^rienlture. Since then, upwards of thirty in- 
stitutes Iiave been hekl and nearly every portion of the 
State has been visited. Tliese meetings are well attended 
and the greatest interest is manifested in the work that has 
been carried on. Particular attention has been given to 
stock breeding, dairying, forage plants and grasses, poul- 
try, food adulteration, alkali conditions, orchard irriga- 
tion, and horticulture, including a study of the most in- 
jurious pests, moths and insects which are found in vari- 
ous parts of Idaho. 

At present the work is carried on by the Station Staff, 
often at the expense of station work which must be sus- 
pended for the time occupied. An appropriation of |3,000 
for the biennium is needed to enable us to secure the as- 
sistance which is needed in this work. Many practical 
men in the State who have achieved success along certain 
lines, could be usefully employed during the institute sea- 
son to assist in the programs at these meetings. In some 
cases these men have already contributed but their work 
has been gratuitous with but a small allowance for actual 
expenses. An increase in the appropriation from |2,000 to 

,000 would be of vast assistance in Institute Work. 


In 1902 the Department of Domestic Science was estab- 
lished and a course in Cooking offered, compulsory in the 
Freshman and Sophomore years and elective for all others. 


Appropriation for tlie necessary equipment was made and 
the work whieli was^ pnrel j experimental begun in a small 
wa}'^ Before the end of the first year its success was as- 
sured. The Department had outgrown its quarters^ and 
it was^ evident that a much larger equipment was re- 
quired. To meet this a special appropriation of |2,500 was' 
made at the next session of the Legislature. 

The difficulty at once arose of finding suitable room^ 
in which to install the new equipment and accommodate 
the increasing number of students and it became necessarT 
to utilize the room in the Dormitory for this purpose. Un- 
der the personal supervision of the Yice President of the 
Board the money for extending the work was expended and 
an equipment for individual work provided. This equip- 
ment included kitchen utensils, china, glass, cutlery and 
table linen for dining room service, rugs, curtains, etc. To 
meet this expense about one-half of the |2,500 was used,, 
the remainder being reserved for future needs. 

At the end of the second year the increasing interest 
made it advisable to further extend the work and this was 
done by offering a beginning course in sewing. Again the 
difficulty presented itself of securing a room suitable for 
this purpost. Temporary quarters, wholly inadequatej, 
however, were found and classes were started. 

The increasing demand for instruction in domestic 
science, the large number of young women desiring to 
take this course and the outside interest displayed by wo- 
men throughout the State are all evidences that to meet 
these demands the time has come when a building of suit- 
able size and arrangement is necessary. The work can not 
successfully be carried on under existing circumstances. 


Such a buildiug should be kirge enough to aecominodate 
the eutire phiii embodied in a three or four years' course in 
domestic science. This includes cookery, sewing (wliich 
involves drafting, cutting, dressmaking and millinery), 
laundry work, home nursing and laboratory practice. Tlie 
educational value of domestic science has been questioned 
more frequently than any other branch of manual train- 
ing, although it is a study of the widest range. The idea 
of any connection between the school and the kitchen has 
until recently been thought inconsistent but the experi- 
ence of the past three years has thrown new light on the 
subject and the need and benefit of an adequate system is 

The experiment of three years ago has brought gratify- 
ing results and patrons of the University are asking that 
the education of their daughters include both a liberal 
and technical training in the arts and industries. A prac- 
tical demonstration of these new college ideals will raise 
the standard of living by placing the home upon a more 
solid and dignified plane and the State can confer no 
greater benefit upon its daughters than the provision of 
a building for domestic science where a school may be es- 
tablished to fit young women not only for home life but al- 
so for academic w^ork in this branch throughout our public 
schools. The subject is worthy of earnest consideration. 


In two years of the closest economy the Maintenance 
Fund has proved insufficient to meet the most urgent needs 
of the University and there is a present deficiency in the 
fund amounting to |2,500 annually. This deficiency is 


not large relatively to the total income and expenditures 
of the institution and to the educational results obtained 
and is important chiefly in connection with the appropria- 
tion for the next biennium. 

In the past two years no new item has been added to the 
fixed charges of the institution which was not included in 
the estimates presented to the last Legislature. There 
have been no additions to the Faculty and no change in 
the salary schedule. However, the cost of the separate 
organization of the Experiment Station and the cost of op- 
erating the present plant have been slightly in excess 
of our estimates and it is now seen that the provision for 
unforeseen and emergency expenditures, e. g. repairs to 
buildings, providing fire escapes, etc., was not adequate 
and should be increased in the next budget. 

The estimates for the next biennium include an increase 
of $15,000 annually, divided as follows : 

To cover present deficit and meet existing changes in Maintenance 

fund $ 5,000 

Library 1,900 

Increase in Departmental Budgets 1,200 

Additions to Faculty — Geology and History 2,400 

Equipment of Armory .- 2,500 

Buildings and grounds, sidewalks, etc 1,000 

Contingencies 1,000 


In the College of Liberal Arts the needs of three de- 
partments, viz: Chemistry, Modern Language and His- 
tory are presented as follows : 

The chemical department is in need of larger and more 
commodious quarters, more appartus, and more instruc- 
tors. The department has at its disposal at present a com- 
bination office, library and balance room, three laboratory 
rooms, and a recitation room which is used in conjunction 


wUli two ollu'i' dc'parlnu'iils. One lahoi'aloi'y room is filled 
1)3' two sections of the Frosliinan ('lass and two laboratory 
rooms are filled by the JSopliomove (Jlass. During;' tlie 
second semester of this year room for two additional 
courses must be provided. It is doubtful if this can be 
done under present conditions, and next year it will be 
quite impossible to carry advanced courses for students 
taking a cliaracteristic or major in Chemistry. 

The rooms in which the students work were never in- 
tended for laboratories but are simply low ceiling rooms 
fitted with desks and sinks. Many of the ordinary labora- 
tory conveniences are lacking and ventilation is nearly im- 
possible. The recitation room has in the past failed to ac- 
commodate the classes. A lecture room, one of the most 
important rooms of the laboratory, is entirely lacking. It 
also seems necessary to say that although precautions are 
taken to avoid accidents and prevent fire, nevertheless ac- 
cidents due to the crowded rooms and poor ventilation 
have occurred and danger from fire can not be eliminated. 

In the department of modern languages an additional 
instructor is urgently required, as at present two teachers 
are required to teach eleven sections in French, German 
and Spanish, and some of these sections (notably German 
I, German II A and B and German III) are so large that 
effective language drill is impossible, and this at the ele- 
mentary stage when it is most important. One hundred 
and twenty-nine students in the College and Preparatory 
School are beginning German this fall. For elementary 
work classes should not exceed twenty students. Follow- 
ing is the registration for the above mentioned classes: 
German I, 41 students; German II A and B, 88 students; 


German III, 42 students. These should in every case be 
divided. Besides this the instructors should have time 
for additional advanced courses for which there is already 
a demand. 

For some time past it has been evident that more 
courses and hours of instruction in History should be of- 
fered in the College of Liberal Arts. At present one mem- 
ber of the Faculty gives half his time to United States and 
European History. This is obviously insufflcient. It is 
recommended therefore that the work in History be practi- 
cally doubled in amount and the Maintenance Fund be 
charged with the additional cost. 


It is difficult to estimate the service rendered by a Uni- 
versity. Its contribution to education and economic prog- 
ress can not be accurately measured. It is possible, how- 
ever, to outline it in general terms. Briefly then the Uni- 
versity of Idaho is making an earnest attempt to the full 
extent of her present resources to render the same service 
to the State of Idaho that other and older State Univer- 
sities are performing in their respective States. 

The entrance requirements, the educational standards in 
undergraduate work, the courses of study, the ideals of 
education are practically the same here as elsewHere and 
the cost per student is relatively low. There is noticeable 
only a larger liberality in the matter of electives and a 
wider range of choice for the individual student. 


In the great national educational associations the Uni- 
versity has been represented and has made its contribution 
to the national organization of education. The members 


of the Faculty retain their iiiemberslup in many of the 
learned soeic^ties of the country and attend their nieetinj^s 
as rei>uhn'ly as distance and tlieir nearer duties will p(a*- 
init. Several nunnbers of the Faculty attended the sum- 
mer sessions of the larger universities last year. Through 
the various Agricultural Associations of the Inland Em- 
pire the members of the Experiment Station have helped 
in the economic advancement of the Northwest. Since 
July 1, 1903, the station workers have conducted over thir- 
ty Farmers' Institutes in the different counties of the 
State. The attendance exceeded 5,000 and the new and 
improved methods of agriculture now under discussion or 
already adopted and the changing face of the farm lands 
of Idaho testify in large type to the economic value of the 
services rendered. 

In the State Teachers' Association and the various 
Teachers' Institutes the members of the college faculty 
have emphasized the unity of our educational system by 
their ready co-operation with their fellow teachers in the 
public schools. By a regular inspection of all the high 
schools of the State the members of the Committee on Ac- 
credited Schools have given considerable assistance in 
the organization of secondary education through the State. 

The reduction in railroad fares cuts distance in two for 
intending students, increases the attendance and efficiency 
of the institution, and makes strongly for a more perfect 
educational unity. 

In numerous intercollegiate contests, debate, oratory, 
athletics, etc., the students of the University make a show- 
ing that is more than creditable. In skill and training they 
are equal to the best and are striving always for the first 


But the chief function of a University is found in the 
correct, careful, and effective education of the students 
within its walls. The State sends its best students to the 
University. What kind of men and women does 
the University return to the State? Here lies the 

true and central service of any university. If it 
is found that the students of the University are 
well equipped in scholarship, stalwart in character 
and able to hold their own in professional and industrial 
competition, if they are capable, sound and successful men 
and women then it may be confidently held that the uni- 
versity is faithful in the performance of its main function, 
the correct education of its students. Perhaps it is not 
too much to say that the University has met the just ex- 
pectations of those who are most deepl}'' interested in her 

If it is found, too, that the new conditions require the 
multiplication of educational facilities of every descrip- 
tion, the enlargement of laboratories, the increase of the 
library, the addition of new courses of instruction, it may 
reasonably be expected that the Governor and Legislature 
of that State will make adequate provision for the services 
that the modern university is expected to render. 

3 01121